The Summer Mentored Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SMURF) is a directly-mentored or supervised summer research opportunity.
Recipients work closely with a faculty member in their research or do research alongside a faculty member on a closely-related project.
- Current first-year, sophomore, and junior students in any major can apply for up to $5,000 for a full-time project. Students working on part-time SMURF awards may receive up to $2,500.
- CRF-sponsored summer research fellowships are an equal opportunity to all current Georgetown University undergraduates regardless of immigration status.
- Visit eligibility and rules for all CRF-administered summer research programs.
- Review our Canvas course on developing a research project.
Visit a recorded information session about applying to the summer 2023 research fellowship programs.
Timeline for Summer 2023
- Applications Open: Thursday, December 1, 2022
- All Materials Due: Wednesday, February 1, 2023 at 12 PM (noon) ET
- Results Announced: Mid-March 2023
- Award Period: Mid-May to Mid-August (subject to change)
Applying for SMURF
Applications for the SMURF (full- or part-time) must be submitted in a single .doc or .pdf via a Google form application.
A SMURF application consists of the following:
- Completed Google form application (Note: The Google form application is where applicants will upload their combined .pdf document including, in this order, the cover sheet, proposal, statement, timeline, resume, and transcript.)
- Completed cover sheet
- A project proposal (max. 600 words) – proposed project of study, the significance of the project in relation to the field, project methodology, relevant credentials. Use this proposal template.
- A personal statement (max. 600 words) – detail your personal motivation for pursuing this research experience. Use this statement template.
- A ten-week timeline. Use this timeline template.
- Resume (no more than two pages)
- Transcript (may be unofficial)
- A letter of support from the faculty mentor; recommenders should directly send letters to email@example.com. Subject line should read: SMURF Recommendation Student Last Name, Student First Name
- More information for faculty recommender
(Updated September 2022)