SMURF (formerly GUROP) is Georgetown’s Summer Mentored Undergraduate Research Fellowship, a directly-mentored or supervised summer research opportunity. Recipients work closely with a faculty member in their research or do research alongside a faculty member on a closely-related project. Administered by the Center for Research and Fellowships (CRF), this opportunity offers up to $5,000 to successful applicants.
Applications for the SMURF must be submitted in a single .doc or .pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9:00 am EST on Monday, March 14, 2022, excluding the letter of support which should be emailed separately to the same email address by the faculty mentor.
- Completed summer application form
- Project proposal-description of the research, outlining your contribution – significance of research to the field-methodology-outcomes
- Personal statement (max. 600 words) – detail your personal motivation for pursuing this research experience
- Ten-week timeline
- Resume (1-2 pages max)
- Transcript (may be unofficial)
- A letter of support from the faculty mentor (emailed separately to email@example.com); direct your mentor to include your full name and fellowship type (i.e. SMURF Award) in the header of the letter.