The Summer Mentored Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SMURF) is a directly-mentored or supervised summer research opportunity.
Recipients work closely with a faculty member in their research or do research alongside a faculty member on a closely-related project.
- Current first-year, sophomore, and junior students in any major can apply for up to $5,000 for a full-time project. Students working on part-time SMURF awards may receive up to $2,500.
- CRF-sponsored summer research fellowships are an equal opportunity to all current Georgetown University undergraduates regardless of immigration status.
- Visit eligibility and rules for all CRF-administered summer research programs.
- Review our Canvas course on developing a research project.
Timeline for Summer 2024
- Applications Open: Now
- All Materials Due: Thursday, February 1, 2024 at 12 PM (NOON, not midnight) ET (***subject to change)
- Results Announced: Mid- to Late-March 2024 (***subject to change)
- Award Period: Mid- to Late-May until Mid- to Late-August (***subject to change)
Contact a Peer Mentor
Students preparing applications for the summer 2024 research fellowships are invited to contact a senior peer mentor who has previously received one of the CRF-sponsored summer fellowships for advice on application and proposal development.
Applying for SMURF
Applications for the SMURF (full- or part-time) must be submitted in a single .pdf via a Google form application.
A SMURF application consists of the following:
- Completed Google form application (Note: The Google form application is where applicants will upload their combined .pdf document including, in this order, the cover sheet, proposal, statement, timeline, resume, and transcript.)
- Completed cover sheet
- A project proposal (max. 600 words) – proposed project of study, the significance of the project in relation to the field, project methodology, relevant credentials. Use this proposal template.
- A personal statement (max. 600 words) – detail your personal motivation for pursuing this research experience. Use this statement template.
- A ten-week timeline. Use this timeline template.
- Resume (no more than one page)
- Transcript (via Parchment)
- 1 letter of support from the faculty mentor; the recommender should directly send the letter to email@example.com. Subject line should read: SMURF Recommendation Student Last Name, Student First Name
- More information for faculty recommender.
(Updated October 2023)