Fulbright U.S. Student Program
The United States Congress with the aid of Senator J. William Fulbright created the Fulbright program in 1946 following the end of WWII. The program is meant to increase mutual understanding between the people of the U.S. and other countries through the exchange of persons, knowledge, and skills, and to provide U.S. students with the opportunity for professional development and international experience.
- Visit Fulbright US Student Program to confirm eligibility and review suitable opportunities.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with request to subscribe to the Georgetown University Fulbright Listserv.
- Begin Fulbright online application.
- Setup advising appointment during the summer before the October application deadline. Email email@example.com to schedule an appointment.
- Complete and submit entire application for endorsement in September.
- Receive endorsement from faculty through the on-campus interview process.
- Re-submit final application in October to Fulbright.
Fulbright applications are due on-campus over a year before the actual grant commences, interested students should plan accordingly. Students looking to go abroad in the academic year following graduation should begin their application in the spring of their junior year.
For the 2022-2023 year abroad:
Drafts Due: August 2021 (Optional for those students interested in feedback; submit drafts to firstname.lastname@example.org)
University Endorsement Deadline: October 10th at 11:59pm EST
On-Campus Committee Interview: Mid-September thru early October
External Fellowship Deadline: October 12, 5pm EST
Check the Webinars & Workshops page for scheduled webinars and recordings of previous sessions covering the Fulbright Program and application.
U.K. Fulbright Awards
Please Note: Given the extraordinarily competitive nature of Fulbright awards in the U.K., we require all those seeking university support in applying for a U.K. or Ireland Fulbright to have worked closely with their Georgetown FPA for at least 4-8 weeks (depending on which institution) in order to qualify to receive application mentorship.
If you believe you have put in this amount of energy and effort into your Fulbright application, please let us know, describing the investment you’ve put forward thus far. Otherwise, we invite you to be in touch in January 2022 to discuss a reasonable timeline that will allow you to put your best foot forward in these rigorous Fulbright competitions.