ICWA Independent Writing Fellowships
The Institute of Current World Affairs (ICWA) awards independent writing fellowships to exceptional candidates interested in foreign affairs or cultural studies. The fellowship is two years of complete immersion in one of the following countries or regions: South America (especially Venezuela and Brazil), Cuba, Turkey, Eurasia (especially Russia, Ukraine, Central Asia), the Horn of Africa (Ethiopia, Eritrea), or India. A prestigious ICWA fellowship provides recipients with the rare gift of time and freedom to explore regions and topics, expanding their knowledge at formative times in their lives, and sharing their self-directed, independent research through monthly newsletters and participation in institute events.
- Applicants must be under 36 years of age
- Applicants have excellent written and spoken English-language skills as well as the necessary language skills required to carry out their proposed project in their country of choice
- Applicants must have completed the current phase of their formal education at the time of application
- ICWA does not accept applications from current undergraduate students
- Must have a strong connection to U.S. society, though citizenship is not a requirement
- Applicants must send a letter of interest to ICWA by June 15, 2019. There is no fixed length for the letter of interest.
- After submitting a letter of interest, applicants will here from ICWA as to whether they were selected to submit further materials.
- If selected to submit further materials, the full application will be due by August 30, 2019.
- Applicants will be notified in early December
For more information, contact email@example.com.
- Letter of Interest: June 15, 2019
- Full Application: August 30, 2019