Inter-American Foundation (IAF) Fellowships
IAF Fellowships support dissertation research in Latin America and the Carribbean undertaken by students who have advanced to Ph.D. candicacy in a university in the United States. Fellows must be U.S. citizens or citizens of the independent Latin America or Carribbean countries. Proficiency in the language(s) appropriate to the research is required.
Awards are based on development and scholarly criteria. Proposals should offer a practical orientation to field-based information. Among topics currently of interest to the IAF are the following:
- Organizations promoting grassroots development among poor and disavantaged people;
- the financial sustainability and independence of development organizations;
- trends affecting historically excluded groups;
- transnational development;
- the role of corporate responsibility in grassroots development;
- the impact of globalization on grassroots development;
- the impact of grassroots development activities on the quality of life of the poor.
Fellowship awards provide round-trip international transportation to the field research site; a $3,000 research allowance, paid quaterly; a $1,500 monthly stipend covering a maximum period of 12 months; and attendance to the Grassroots Development Conference organized by IAF, where fellows discuss their progress with members of the IAF’s review committee.
Fellows are required to submit to the IAF, within six months of completing their grant period, a final report on their research of between 1,250 and 2,500 words.
IAF’s fellowship program is currently administered with the support of the Institute for International Education (IIE). For the latest information on application procedures, visit www.iie.org/iaf. Potential applicants should review the site in its entirety. Any inquiries should be addressed to the Institute of International Education firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for the 2014-2015 fellowship cycle is January 6, 2014.
All inquiries should be directed to email@example.com.