The Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Foundation awards scholarships to current sophomores and juniors who intend to pursue research-focused careers in engineering, mathematics, and the natural sciences.
These scholarships are up to $7,500 a year to help cover costs associated with tuition, fees, books, room and board. Sophomores who are awarded the scholarship will receive up to $7,500 in both their junior and their senior years. Juniors who receive the scholarship will receive up to $7,500 in their senior year.
- Applicants must be matriculated sophomores or juniors currently pursuing a Georgetown degree. Review carefully Goldwater’s definition of sophomore and junior. For the 2024 competition, a student who is part-time may be nominated. As in the past, a student must be a full-time matriculated student during the academic terms when they receive financial support from the Goldwater Scholarship Foundation.
- Applicants must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or national, or a permanent resident.
- Please review the Goldwater Scholarship eligibility webpage closely.
Join E-Mail List
If you are eligible, please join our e-mail list to continue to receive information about Goldwater Scholarship advising.
University nomination is required to apply for the Goldwater Scholarship; applicants cannot apply without it. To apply for internal endorsement, candidates should submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org by the internal endorsement deadline: November 15, 2023 at 12 PM (noon) ET:
- Fill out a pre-application in the Goldwater portal
- Full application in the Goldwater portal – visit an example of the online application in .pdf format. (You will have access to the full application after your pre-application is approved. Please fill out the pre-application well before the November 15 deadline to give yourself time to fill out the full application, which is required by the November 15 due date.)
- A Parchment transcript
- Three letters of recommendation from professors/research mentors who may speak to your research experiences and strengths in your chosen field. NOTE: Recommenders, by this same due date, should email these letters directly to email@example.com. Letters should be on letterhead and signed. (Recommenders should review guidance provided by the Goldwater Foundation.)
- Research essay; for 2024, the Research Essay must have a title.
- CRF Advising Waiver and Agreement Form
- Hyperlinks should not be included in the applicant’s essays or in the letters of recommendation. Reviewers will not use these links.
The University may nominate up to four current sophomores or juniors to the Barry M. Goldwater Foundation. Additionally, for 2024, Georgetown may nominate up to six students if one is a transfer student and one is a U.S. Veteran. Note: The fifth and sixth nominees cannot be two transfer students or two U.S. Veterans.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Opens: Submit a pre-application in the Goldwater Scholarship portal beginning September 5, 2023.
Internal Nomination Full Application Due (Required to Apply): November 15, 2023 at 12 PM (noon) ET
National Deadline for GU Nominees: January 26, 2024, 6PM ET. Applications to Goldwater require internal nomination from Georgetown.
Contact a Scholar
If you are a potential applicant for the Goldwater Scholarship, the Center for Research & Fellowships is happy to connect you with a Georgetown Goldwater Scholar so that you can learn more about the process and the experience. Email email@example.com to request an e-introduction.
Goldwater Scholarship Email List
Updated September 2023