The Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship and Excellence in Education Foundation awards scholarships to current sophomores and juniors who intend to pursue research-focused careers in engineering, mathematics, and the natural sciences.
These scholarships are up to $7,500 a year to help cover costs associated with tuition, fees, books, room and board. Sophomores who are awarded the scholarship will receive up to $7,500 in both their junior and their senior years. Juniors who receive the scholarship will receive up to $7,500 in their senior year.
Visit the recorded Zoom session, hosted on October 12, 2022, which presented information about applying for the Goldwater Scholarship and featured insights from Georgetown’s current Goldwater Scholars!
- Applicants must be full-time, matriculated sophomores or juniors currently pursuing a Georgetown degree.
- Applicants must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher. From the organization: “In the 2022 Goldwater competition, GPAs ranged from 3.53 to 4.91 on a 4.0 scale.”
- Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or national, or a permanent resident.
- Please review the Goldwater Scholarship eligibility webpage closely.
University nomination is required. To apply for internal endorsement, candidates should submit the following to email@example.com by the internal endorsement deadline: Deadline for internal nomination has passed.
- Application – visit an example of the online application in .pdf format.
- Unofficial transcript (download from MyAccess)
- Three letters of recommendation from professors/research mentors who may speak to your research experiences and strengths in your chosen field. NOTE: Recommenders, by this same due date, should email these letters directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Letters should be on letterhead and signed. (Recommenders should review guidance provided by the Goldwater Foundation.)
- Research essay
- CRF Advising Waiver and Agreement Form
The University will nominate up to four current sophomores or juniors to the Barry M. Goldwater Foundation. A fifth applicant may also receive nomination if other nominees in the application cycle are transfer students.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
Internal Nomination Application Due: The deadline for academic year 2022-2023 has passed; check back in fall 2023 for academic year 2023-2024.
External Fellowship Deadline: January 27, 2023, 6PM ET. Applications to Goldwater require internal nomination from Georgetown; that deadline for internal nomination passed on November 17, 2022 at 12 PM (noon) ET.
Contact a Scholar
If you are a potential applicant for the Goldwater Scholarship, the Center for Research & Fellowships is happy to connect you with a Georgetown Goldwater Scholar so that you can learn more about the process and the experience. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an e-introduction.