Gates Cambridge Scholarships
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is a merit-based scholarship established by the Gates Cambridge Trust in order to give students from around the world the opportunity to study at Cambridge in one of three programs: a one-year postgraduate course leading to a Master’s degree, a two-year research only degree, or research and work leading to a Ph.D. (scholars are funded for a period of 1 to 4 years). The Gates Cambridge Scholarship provides University tuition, a stipend for living expenses, and one return airfare. Applicants must concurrently apply for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship and for admission to one of the colleges at Cambridge. The offer of a Gates Cambridge Scholarship is conditional on the student gaining admission to one of Cambridge’s colleges.
In the Scholarship application, students will be expected to demonstrate the ability for serious academic work, the potential to make a significant contribution to a particular discipline, and the desire to apply this learning positively in teaching, research, or one’s chosen profession. The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is intended for students who have sound academic interests in a particular field of study.
- Students who are a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- Applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge: PhD (three year research-only degree); MSc or MLitt (two year research-only degree); or a one year postgraduate course (e.g. MPhil, LLM, MASt, Diploma, MBA etc.)
- OR a student already at Cambridge and want to apply for a new postgraduate course
- OR already a Gates Cambridge Scholar and want to apply for a second Scholarship. You must apply by the second, international deadline and go through the same process of departmental ranking, shortlisting and interviewing as all other candidates
No University nomination is required. Apply directly to Cambridge. However, the Center for Research and Fellowships is happy to advise interested applicants.
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Application Process:
- Download Gates Cambridge Scholarship application (GRADSAF) from the Gates website
- Request application and prospectus from the Cambridge website.
- Complete Part I of the Gates Cambridge Scholarship Supplementary Information Form, and have Part II completed by a referee (the Office of Fellowships); the referee must then submit both forms to the Gates Cambridge Trust.
- 3 recommendations: 2 academic, 1 personal.
- Submit the CIGAS application form to Cambridge.
Please contact the Center for Research and Fellowships at email@example.com for further information.
Applications for the 2022-2023 cycle have closed. The application for the 2023-2024 cycle will open in September 2022.
Deadline: To be announced